Thursday, February 16, 2006

Naples Walkabout

Went out today and witnessed firsthand the traffic anarchy on the streets of Naples: create your own lane, lean on your horn, tailgate as close as you can (about an inch), pass if you have room (it doesn't matter which side and how close), park/stop anywhere if there's space, go on a red light, don't watch out for pedestrians, etc. I wouldn't even try to drive here but if I do, I'll be driving a beat up car.

I rode a bus from the airport terminal to the port/harbor terminal area to check out the place where we will catch the ferry tomorrow. I sat on the first row and witnessed all of the above especially the tailgating part. The driver got real close (almost on top of a Honda civic) and the car's driver got out to check out his rear bumper and then came up to the bus driver's window and started yelling and gesturing. The bus driver did the same thing and even slammed his window and then his windshield as the other guy was walking away. We're also holding up traffic behind us as this was going on. They argued with each other twice more and the bus driver even flagged a cop car to get their attention but it's a good thing they just kept on going. The bus driver just kept on tailgaiting and blowing his horn until the other car finally turned at an intersection.

Got off at the port area and walked around to find the ticket counter and where to board the ferry. I didn't feel comfortable walking around because a lot of people are just lounging around looking at you and some bums asking for spare change. I have placed my wallet in my jacket pocket just to be safe. Not much to see in the area and it was raining a little bit but I had my umbrella. Lots of store with clearance sale - it's the same as in Spain. After New Year, almost all items are marked down form 60%- 75% until the 2nd week of March.

Just kept on walking until I got to Garibaldi Square which is the main train/bus terminal for Naples and I checked out where we'll buy our tickets to go to Sorrento on Saturday and Rome on Sunday. Again, the same scenery - people just hanging around and trash piled everywhere. Got on the bus and returned to the base because my legs were really hurting from walking for about 4 hours. Mom was already at the room waiting for me when I got there. I'm just finishing this up quickly because we're going out for pizza tonight and then we'll be gone all day tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Blogger reyjay said...

Hi Robert,

Para palang Manila driving diyan ano? That means you should be able to drive there, no problem!!
I'm already thinking of hiring a driver once I get a car in the Philippines. Being a passenger there is enough to trigger a heart attack!

As I've posted in my latest blog, aalis ako dito Thursday, March 2nd. Tomorrow, Glenda, my niece would find out from the mortgage company whether they'll be able to afford to by the house. We'll keep you posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home